The purpose of the Lay Organization is to organize and train the lay members of the A.M.E. Church, so that each member may utilize to the maximum the abilities and skills granted by God, in assisting with the improvement and extension of God’s kingdom, and creating happiness, peace and harmony among its members.
The objectives and purpose of the Lay Organization are outlined in its Constitution. The main objectives are stated in brief as follows:
- To create a love and appreciation of the History and Principles of African Methodism.
- Keep the memory of Richard Allen alive.
- Respect Constituted Authority.
- Stimulate and Educate the Laity in the Total Program of the Church.
- Study the Discipline and learn the laws of the Church.
- Encourage Financial Support of the Church’s Program.
- Teach and Practice Stewardship and work with the Youth to teach them Methodism.
- These objectives can best be met when one works to understand the program of the church and relate the church to the World around us. Become involved in Social Action such that the church is then our Community – our Job – Our School, and everywhere that many assembles he carries the church with him.
Laymen now have thus assembled,
In Thy blessed name O God.
Guide us in our true endeavor,
Light the pathway that we trod;
Give us strength to ever labor for Thy cause
Give us strength to ever labor for Thy cause.
We are banded one in union,
To fulfill Thy just command.
May we be Thy true disciples,
Holding to Thy mighty hand;
Give us blessings from the fountain of Thy love
Give us blessings from the fountain of Thy love.
As we walk this Christian journey,
Let us keep our armour bright.
Let our works be pure and holy
That we stand within Thy sight;
Laymen soldiers, strong in unity and love
Laymen soldiers, strong in unity and love.
May we stand before Thine altar,
Pledging Lord to work for Thee.
In the vineyard, in the pastures
Let us Lord Thy pilgrims be;
Let us lift the cross forever to the skies,
Let us lift the cross forever to the skies.
Tune: “Guide Me O Thou Great Jehovah”
Frances A. Walston
May God bless us with the true spirit of Christianity, That we may live together, not as man over man, but as Lay persons working with God. Amen